Thursday, November 20, 2008

Bridge PCB -> Bridge PCBA

Here's the assembled I2C<->RS232 bridge in its fully-assembled glory.

Yes, I know, the leftover flux looks kinda nasty, but it works!* All that's left hardware-wise (we hope) is the front-end assembly, which will be done on a breadboard.

edit: I went ahead and ported the SFBP state-machine I whipped up for the back-end SIM utility to the PIC and everything functions as expected. I used the Advanced Serial Port Terminal by Eltima Software to do some preliminary tests. Once all the commands are implemented (so much as to return dummy values), I'll go forward and try it with the test utility that the front-end team made.

*It works, but with a few hacks. In the schematic, I flipped the PGD and PGC ICSP programming pins, which was easily fixed by exchanging the wires on the cable. I also would've preferred the power traces to be wider and should've laid-out some space for the RS-232 connector. Coulda' woulda' shoulda'.

No comments: